With recreational cannabis being legal in Colorado, what are the benefits of getting a med card?
1. Save Money
With a medical marijuana card, customers save money. The regulations allow them to pay standard sales tax. The recreational customers pay cannabis excise taxes. Our Louisville medical marijuana customers, pay 8.635% sales tax. Our Louisville recreational cannabis customers pay over 20.735% in sales tax, so having a medical card can create nice savings on every purchase.
For example, if someone spends $100. Medical patient pays $108.64. Recreational customer pays $120.74.
2. Capacity to purchase more product
In Colorado, recreational marijuana customers can purchase up to an ounce of cannabis per visit. Unlike recreational customers, medical customers do not have the same restriction. The license you receive will dictate your purchase limits. For instance, recreational customers can purchase edibles with up to 10mg of THC per piece, but medical products do not have the same limits. As always with edibles, start low and go slow!
3. Cannabis expertise
Having a clinician can help! Working with a medical professional will give you access to high quality information and tips. Additionally, these trained doctors can help guide you on your cannabis journey. Many budtenders and dispensary store staff are knowledgeable about cannabis information. However, they are prohibited by law from providing medical advice because they are not medical professionals.
How to get a medical marijuana card?
1. Check your availability.
In Colorado, medical card qualifying conditions are as follows:
- HIV or AIDS.
- Persistent muscle spasms.
- Severe nausea.
- Severe pain.
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
- An Autism Spectrum Disorder.
- Any condition for which a physician could prescribe an opioid.
In addition, you must be a Colorado resident to apply.
2. Make an appointment with a certified medical marijuana practitioner.
Do your homework before you choose a doctor. To this end, we suggest first time medical cannabis patients research prior to selecting a provider. Our recommendations for local marijuana trained doctors includes:
1006 Depot Hill Road Suite 100
Broomfield, CO 80020
(970) 412 – 5955
1495 Yarmouth Ave Suite B
Boulder, CO 80304
4 Pillars Denver
1777 S Bellaire Suite G105
Denver, CO 80222
3. Gather your documents.
You will need:
* A valid Colorado ID or driver’s license. In order to apply online, make sure to have a JPEG or PDF copy of your valid Colorado driver’s license or ID. You will upload this to your registration.
- Your social security number.
- Caregiver’s registration ID if you are applying with a caregiver.
- Credit card or bank account and routing number to pay the $25 application processing fee.
If you are applying for a card for a minor under 18 years of age, the additional requirements are detailed here.
4. Create your online account.
You can create your account with the State of Colorado, by filling out the online form found here. After that….
5. Visit Ajoya!
Our knowledgeable staff look forward to getting to know you and accompanying you on your medical cannabis journey. To serve you, we have locations in Louisville and Lakewood. You’re welcome to shop in store or order online. Be sure to browse our specials as well!